First few weeks as a new mum

Showered and baby in arms I am wheeled to the ward where we will stay until the following day. I wave goodbye to hubby and my mum who are both tired after not having any time to sit down since teatime the night before. When I got to the ward I realised this was it, eek I was a mum and I had a baby that needed me! I also realised I had no idea where anything was in my bags, including my phone and I was still sore. Luckily within 30 mins hubby and my mum returned, begging to come in (it wasn't visiting hours) as hubby had my phone (oh my!) and they came armed with coffee, a sandwich and a bun.

First day as a mum in hospital
After that, I started to relax. Wow I was tired and I couldn't stop looking at this less than 7 pound bundle. I wish then I had slept as she was so tired after the birth she slept for a few hours. Little did I know that she wouldn't sleep on her own later on! So take my advice if baby is sleeping after the birth, other than to feed them etc get some sleep. By the time I got home I hadn't slept in over 50 hours, my hair needed washing and I felt like I had been hit by a bus! Of course you can't sleep with baby on you so when they don't settle in their temporary crib you can't sleep! I didn't dream of asking for someone to take her for a bit since I was breastfeeding and she was far too precious, to be fair nobody offered.

Later that day we had 2 lots of visitors, my parents, sister and mum-in-law. I was shattered but apparently I looked like a natural, like I wasn't a new mum, maybe I was so tired I was relaxed haha!

The following day after 2 sleepless nights we went home. I fell asleep cuddling the cat, bless him, he missed me. We had more visitors but in the evening our close friends came with gifts and tea, a lovely cottage pie and homemade Yorkshire puddings! We were so grateful and there was enough for the next day! Next tip, do prepare and freeze meals during pregnancy, I wish I had! Also if your friends are having a baby, take them a cooked meal haha, honestly it's the best when you are tired!

Without going into lots of detail the following few weeks consisted of me and hubby taking shifts
to sleep as baby wouldn't sleep in her snuzpod, lots of visitors, flowers, teddies and other gifts and breastfeeding what felt like around the clock! Not forgetting all the nappy changes, poo explosions, first bath and lots and lots of baby cuddles! We also visited family and had a few meals out as most of the time she slept.

3 days post-partum (feeling delicate despite the smile)
When hubby went back to work I was worried how I would cope on my own but I found a way of getting baby to sleep, putting her down, even if it was 10 minutes to get myself ready as best I could! It was difficult to really do anything including making a drink, going to toilet etc because baby is so used to being safe in the womb they just cry the moment you put them down. Breastfeeding is extremely demanding in the early weeks whilst supply is established and baby is growing.

2 days after hubby went back to work we arranged to go into town and register her birth, he was coming from work. Oh my! Okay so first lets talk emotions! After birth, I would say for the first three weeks your emotions are all over the place, I would cry just looking at her little face! So here I am arriving in a multi-storey car park, picture me driving our new A4 which I am not used to driving let 
alone parking! A lovely lady sees me struggling and offers to guide me in to a space. She has a slightly older baby in the car. I then proceeded to get the pram out along with the car seat adapters. I put them on and I cannot get the car seat to click into place. This lovely lady offers to help, we can't figure it out. I ring hubby, stressing as we are going to be late, I'm meeting him at the registry office. I the end the lady had to go as she had already paid to leave the car park. I thanked her and carried on trying to figure it out. Next two other ladies see me and again try to help. Since we couldn't figure it out they offered to carry baby there in the car seat for me whilst I took the pram. So there is me pushing a pram base with nothing on it! Then as we are walking and they have been taking it in turns to carry baby in her car seat one of them suddenly realises we were trying to put the adapters on the wrong way! They are changed and wahoo the car seat fits on. Off we go! 

If that wasn't stressful enough I return to the car and I can't put the pram down! It took me 10 minutes! By this point I am crying because I have just had enough and felt so blooming useless! All the while baby has slept through both of these events, bless her!

Next tip - make sure you know how to use everything before hubby goes back to work! And if you see a new mum struggling, help her haha! I am so grateful for those lovely ladies who helped me that day.

I laugh now but this is one of many new and stressful occasions as a new mum full of emotions and tiredness!

On the Saturday following, with my husband at work I broke down to my sister, step-mum and dad as I was so upset that I hadn't done any of the housework. They came and helped me, again I was so grateful for the support, even if it was just to hold baby whilst I pottered as it felt like some 'me' time to do something normal.

Hope you enjoyed reading!

Leanne x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into Toddlerdom part 1

So I had my first day of work!

A little about me