My Breastfeeding Journey

Hello and Happy Wednesday!

As it has recently been National Breastfeeding Week last week I thought it would be the ideal time to share my journey now.

I would like to think that with the Dispatches programme and other events across the country awareness has increased but still sadly numbers of mums who breastfeed are really low. Why is this?

I think alot of mums are put under pressure to breastfeed but in some ways it should kind of be that mums are put under pressure to bottle feed. What I mean by this is that breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world, animals generally feed from their mum unless their life is at risk and they need hand rearing.

The trouble is there isn't enough education or support available. I think if breastfeeding was discussed more in schools more women would grow up with the intention to do it if they choose to have a baby.

I have a few friends who bottle fed, some who chose to from day 1 and others who couldn't breastfeed but tried. Some breastfed for a time and then transitioned to formula.

I attended a workshop with my husband during pregnancy and was blown away by what I learnt but I can't believe this was the first time I was hearing about it, like I say it should be taught in schools!

With all of the benefits to Breastfeeding for Mum and Baby bottlefeeding, in my opinion should be for those mums who have to return to work quickly, those who simply with all of the knowledge still don't want to breastfeed or for those who are unable to for whatever reason.

I realise this is a difficult and personal subject and it isn't meant to offend.

I was adamant I was going to breastfeed and in my birth plan asked that baby be placed on me as soon as possible. The first feed was strange but so lovely too, to see her feeding for the first time, so tiny and precious, I knew that I was giving her the best start.

The first few nights I asked for help to check the latch, some people were more helpful than others. It was extremely tiring as it felt like it was constant but I knew this was normal as Ellie needed to establish supply. Unfortunately she did lose 10% of her birth weight and we had to have extra checks until she started to gain again, she was only 6 pound 12 when she was born as it was.



I used to watch for her feeding cues, nuzzling on her hand or anyone she could, licking her lips, bobbing her little head shakily, awww!

I ended up watching all of Pretty Little Liars on Netflix as we sat infront of the TV most of the day. I would urge anyone to do this in those early weeks. Make sure you have plenty to drink and eat to keep up with the demand of feeding. Oh how I miss those sleepy cuddles!

After about 12 weeks I felt it was getting easier, I was getting a bit more used to feeding in public and my family were so supportive, nobody ever made me feel uncomfortable.

At around 16 weeks I noticed that Ellie's latch wasn't great and she was making a 'tut tut' sound, like she had done on a bottle. We introduced expressed bottle from around 6 weeks so that she could get used to it and could be left with family whilst I did some work. I had to get help and we are lucky in Hull that we have The Goodwin Trust and Breastfeeding Peer Support Service. I had 2 lovely ladies come and see me and they kept in touch with me until I confirmed I was happy. I also accessed a Lactation Consultant Linda Milk & Therapy for help and she checked how much Ellie was getting, her mouth and tongue, latch and gave advice. With all of this we managed to get things back on track.

Breastfeeding soon became much easier, not having to worry about taking bottles and formula out with us, not having to buy formula in the first place, a good job as money was tight. I could just pop her on and she usually fell to sleep.

Nearly 10 months on we are still going strong, even with 7 teeth! She isn't particularly bothered about feeding during the day other than for naps and then she has a feed before bed and maybe once during the night. This is pretty much the case for those on formula at this stage.

At one with Nature


I don't see us stopping anytime soon!

So it hasn't been perfect, although I am very lucky I never had any pain, cracking or bleeeding. It is a journey and one I would do again! The only thing that is a little difficult is clothing. I love dresses and I have had to mainly wear tops and bottoms so I can do the one up one down method!

In the future I hope to help other mums who want to breastfeed!

I could talk about this topic forever but hopefully this gives you an insight!

Leanne :-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little about me

Life Insurance - what it really means

So I had my first day of work!