Life Insurance - what it really means

Hello!

I have had quite alot going on at the moment and still finding a balance of working and being a stay at home mummy. Ellie goes to a childminder one day a week at the moment and I do some work from my my mums one day a week too. Alot of my work can be done in the evenings too as that is when my clients tend to be available.

I haven't really spoken about what I do but following a conversation with some friends recently which resulted in me welling up and filling me with a re-ignited passion for what I do, I had to write this.

3 years ago after an office-based career in administration, customer service, marketing and banking I came across an opportunity to become a Protection Advisor. I prefer to call myself this as the words 'Insurance' can put people off.

We insure most things don't we?! Our cars, our houses, our mobile phones in some cases, our pets but why do alot of families still not have life insurance? We see it all the time on TV so it isn't as though people aren't aware of it.



Life Insurance though is one of those products that you shouldn't really just go on a comparison website for. The reason for this is that it isn't your job to. You can't be expected to know all the variables that can be chosen with a policy, the details, what things mean and the variations between products, that's where I come in!

Life Insurance is really affordable, the price of a coffee a week. Yes there are other products that make it more expensive, like Critical Illness Cover and Income Protection but the very minimum, to pay off a mortgage or leave your family enough to pay for a funeral, for debts and bills, is affordable.

So on this particular day when we were sat with friends, they were telling us about a family member who had passed away recently and the family they left behind. They had already told me about their passing but what they told me that day just really upset me. Being a mummy your perception changes, the thought of leaving my daughter with the loss of me but also with no financial support for my husband, it just breaks me.

I have asked my friends if I could share a bit about their story and they agreed, if it would help other people it would be fine. They recently took out life insurance with me so they know how important it is.

I don't want to share too much information with respect for the family. The father had suffered with health issues for 9 years and needed an organ transplant, the mother had been ill in the past and became a carer for her husband. A family of 5, three children, 1 aged 16, one aged 20 and the other aged 24. At just a little under the age of 50 and just over, income came in from carers allowance and benefits. Sadly after finally having a transplant the father died from complications. This in itself is so sad and an awful thing for the family to deal with.

When my friends told me that they didn't have any life insurance, only a small pension and all the benefits had stopped this just broke me even more. Suddenly this family don't have an income and with the small pension from the father can only afford to pay for half of the funeral costs :-(

It really made me think about what I do and why I am so passionate. People tend to think 'I am only young, it won't happen to me' but it can, there are risks. Why would you not protect your family?

If this family had life cover, it could have provided a monthly income to cover bills, keep a roof over their head, pay for the funeral and perhaps provide an extra income for a period of time so that they could grieve without the worry of financial pressures.

If you have a partner and/or children please don't leave it to chance. It is so much cheaper to take cover out whilst you are young and perhaps don't have any health conditions.

Get in touch with me via e-mail and please share with your family and friends.
You can also find me on Linkedin and my Facebook page is here

I provide a free service with advice and can put a bespoke solution together that fits within your budget.

Speak soon.

Leanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little about me

Into Toddlerdom part 1