The Serial Employee and Business Owner

I'm going to take you right back to secondary school, it's important I tell you where I came from to help you understand my journey to where I am now.

Like a lot of people I was good at school but unfortunately I also experienced bullying.  Little did I know then it would inspire me, it was pretty awful then! In school there seemed to be a 'popular' group, a middle group and 'geek/swot' group. I considered myself to be in the middle group. Looking back I don't know why I was bullied. It included things like being spat on and pushed into a road, having feet stuck out when walking by in classes in an attempt to trip me up and whispers during PE classes. I cried numerous times and it never really got better despite the efforts of the Teachers.

I had a few career options in mind from being a Beautician to an Occupational Therapist, they couldn't be more different I know! One thing I was never really aware of was how to have my own business. I decided against training to be a Beautician because I didn't like the idea of working long days and weekends and I thought the pay was pretty low compared to other career paths. Little did I know there are other ways of making more money in that industry, like being self-employed!

I left school with 13 GCSEs grades A-C and went onto College. After only 3 months I decided to leave and get a job as I really wanted to work and earn money. My first job, well, what can I say was eye opening. Working with animals, cleaning hundreds of cages and bottles, having my shoes chewed by huge rabbits and coming home stinking! I only stayed there 3 months and then my career changed from there and that lead to, well, let's say quite a few more jobs before I became fully my own boss!

Me working at  an event


I started as an Apprentice Receptionist/Business Development Assistant which meant I could gain experience and qualifications! Back then I was earning £50 a week plus travel expenses! I loved it but I wanted more quite quickly. I won't bore you with all my jobs but....

In just over 12 years I had 11 jobs and 10 businesses!!! I worked in Admin, Business Development, Marketing and in a bank! I wouldn't say that I am proud but each job served a purpose, I just either always wanted more or the job/company wasn't for me! In 2015 after leaving my last full time job on garden leave I took a part time job to work around my businesses (another blog post to follow). This was working for a women's charity, for those who had experienced domestic abuse. Although I was an Administrator I spoke with the women a lot and I stayed there longer than I thought I would. In March this year I left that to focus on my businesses. Just after I handed my notice in I found I was pregnant, eek!  If that isn't motivation to make it work I don't know what is!

Does this sound like you? Do you dream about more? Fed up of not finding the right job? I would love to hear your stories.

Next post: a little more about me as a person..

Leanne x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Insurance - what it really means

A little about me

Into Toddlerdom part 1